Christopher Tinsley graduated magna cum laude from Northern Kentucky University in 2010 with a bachelor's degree in Political Science. He then attended the University of Illinois College of Law, graduating cum laude in 2013. During law school, he participated in moot court competitions and the College of Law's advanced trial advocacy program, through which he was nominated for a Paul Lisnek Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy. He also served as an Editor for the Journal of Law, Technology and Policy, and externed for the Cook County Public Defender and the Federal Defender for the Central District of Illinois, where he conducted several successful trials in addition to a variety of other hearings and appellate proceedings.
After graduating from the University of Illinois in 2013, Mr. Tinsley worked under renowned criminal defense attorney Edward Genson, during which time he performed legal research and writing as well as trial preparation for an assortment of criminal cases, ranging from drug offenses to complex white collar crimes. He then worked briefly at a plaintiffs' personal injury firm before entering solo practice, concentrating on criminal defense and civil rights litigation. As a sole practitioner, he represented clients in a variety of state and federal criminal cases, ranging from misdemeanor traffic offenses to federal violent crimes and drug felonies. He also participated in extensive ongoing civil rights litigation against the Chicago Police Department for withholding evidence from defense attorneys.
Mr. Tinsley is a member of the Young Professionals Committee of the Lawndale Christian Legal Center (LCLC), a non-profit on the west-side of Chicago that provides criminal defense, employment and education programs, mentorship, and social health services for underprivileged juveniles and young men accused of crimes on the west-side of Chicago. He has also provided pro bono legal services for the LCLC. Mr. Tinsley is a member of the Illinois bar and the general bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Illinois, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois General Bar, 2014
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, J.D. - 2013
- Northern Kentucky University - 2013
- Bachelor of Science, Political Science
- Illinois Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- National Police Accountability Project, Member
- Lawndale Christian Legal Center, Young Professionals' Counsel
- National Lawyers Guild, Member
- Law Offices of Christopher A. Tinsley
- Law Office of John A. Ranieri, Associate Attorney
- Edward M. Genson and Associates, Contract Attorney
- Officer of the Federal Defender for the Central District of Illinois, Extern
- Cook County Public Defender's Office, Extern
Honors and Awards
Nominee for a Paul Lisnek Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy while in law school
Pro Bono Activities
Lawndale Christian Legal Center (LCLC), Young Professionals' Counsel
Basic proficiency in Spanish